As an independent artist, you want to get your music out there and people listening so that you can gain fans and followers. Here are a few tips that will get you going.
- Get involved in social media and start using hashtags. These days, it seems that everyone is online. It is necessary that you learn about the popular hashtags that you can use in order to reach more people.
- Get involved in online communities such as StumbleUpon, Reddit, and Digg. However, you must make sure that you know the guidelines of each beforehand.
- Do live online performances. These days, live video streaming is becoming increasingly popular. This way, you can hold your gig wherever you want and you can have people hear your music without you paying a dime.
- Get in touch with music bloggers. Most of the time, a music blogger will feature unsigned music. If you’re interesting or different, chances are they will want to blog about you.
- Contact your local radio stations. Go online and look up radio stations in your area and contact them. Give them some information about yourself, links to your music and your social media pages.
- Build an email list- but don’t send too many. Start with one or two emails per month, making sure that you include things about gigs, contests, social media updates, and more.
- Collaborate with other indie musicians. You have followers, and they have different followers. If you make a song together, there’s a chance that your fans will become theirs and vice-versa.
- Reach out to your local media outlets. You’d be surprised at what the media is featuring these days. If you grew up in a small town, chances are the local media would love to feature you and how far you’ve gone.
Independent artists must be willing to do a few things to get their music heard. These tips will definitely help you to get going and get your fan base built up.